Thursday, January 30, 2014

Transportation....

Well, walking is always good.   We walked a good amount and many Filipino walked--and all times of day or night.

there are those who ride bicycles, but not as numerous as I thought there might be.  Or perhaps it depends upon where?

Of course, as an American, I think safety,  and safety is an issue when walking, riding, driving here!!

Motorcycles are numerous.  Sometimes I see drivers/riders with helmets, but not as often as I would think wise!   Often an entire family is perched on a motorcycle.

Pedicabs are numerous.  I haven't as of yet, ridden in a pedicab.  This is a person bicycling with an attached 'side car'.   I reckon I should be a driver of one and develop good leg muscles and lungs!

Tricycles are 'everywhere'--another inexpensive form of getting about.  This is a motorcycle with a 'side car'.  The side car almost always has a top overhead--wise in the sun and/or rain.   These zip along quickly on the road or 'sidewalks'--not that there are a lot of sidewalks.   Where there are sidewalks, they seem filled with 'squatters' running small shops--kind of like a food cart idea, but not always featuring food.         We rode in tricycles--including one team member on back of the cycle behind the motorcycle driver.  I didn't get a picture of the tricycle I saw with my name "Irene" on it.     Tricycles generally have a person's name or family of or other names/slogans.
tricycle and motorcycle


several tricycles
I noted in my travels on Luzon Island, especially, that each town had their own colored tricycles.  They also run more specific "routes" in larger towns.

Jeepneys are fun.  They must have originated from the GI jeeps from WW 2--with elongated back.  How to describe:  rather like two benches facing each other with narrow aisle down middle and roof on top, but open sides.  The roof is low.  The jeepneys generally have routes they go along.  You tap the roof to let them know when you have reached the place you wish to get off.   
            
  Jeepneys are manufactured here with the jeep look in front and long back.   They are always highly decorated with colors (flamboyant is a word that comes to my mind)   and slogans and whatever--sometimes an advertising placard on top.   Often there are curtains and/or flags.     It is not unusual to see slogans   referring to God.  Each can carry 16 passengers, but often carries more.   There are three entrances:  2 front doors for the driver and 2 passengers, and one at the back leading to the main passenger area.  There may be a tiny altar hanging at the top of the windshield or on the rear view mirror.   Often the names of the driver's family are etched on the dashboard.      2nd and 3rd generation jeepneys have air-conditioning units and resemble a minibus.  Some electric jeepneys are being test-run in Makati City, Manila Municipality.     I believe they also run specific "routes". 

I mentioned in a previous post about riding in the back (and cab) of a multi-cab--a small pickup.
                                                                                                                      
There are a lot of Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Toyota.   Most vehicles seem small, both shorter and narrow, than what I remember a vehicle in US.   Well, yes, see other vehicles that are large here--Hyundi, BMW, SUVs, etc.    Seeing big equipment like cranes, concrete mixers, etc. are more obvious in Manila.  Manila has a lot of building going on. 

Traffic--well it is there.  The horn is used a lot.  If you are 'in front' you can get the right of way.   I'm thinking the larger vehicles get their way cuz they are big and intimidating.   I was told that they are not to do swerving or lane changes or 'bullying'.    I've been thankful for someone else driving--especially in Manila!

Air pollution is a problem.  My eyes have bothered a fair amount and I have resorted to a kerchief over my nose/mouth when traveling in a vehicle with window open or as in a tricycle or jeepney--no window just open air.  The exhaust bothers!


No comments:

Post a Comment